The Tasmanian Youth Climate Leaders Program offers students (aged 10-18 years) the opportunity to understand the ways in which their actions can contribute towards the global effort to address climate change and sustainability. The program provides mentorship to students as they learn about climate change and implement a climate action project in their organisation or local community during the year. The goal of this program is to ignite the passion of youth, and equip them with skills to lead on- ground climate actions into the future.
The twice-yearly conferences have been an annual program since 2017. Each year the program helps build a network of young people in lutruwita / Tasmania who are passionate about a range of areas to help tackle climate change and have implemented successful projects around waste, biodiversity, food security, transport, energy and climate justice.
Each year, more 200 students participate in the program from over 30 different educational organisations (public, private and home-based) throughout lutruwita / Tasmania.
For more information, download our information sheet.
Interested in finding out more? Contact the team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow us on Facebook or Instagram. Sign up to our Youth Climate Leaders Program Mailing List.
The Tasmanian Youth Climate Leaders Program is back for 2024!
This year conferences will be held:
- South – Friday 15 March and Tuesday 17 September 2024. The first conference will be at the University of Tasmania University Centre, Sandy Bay.
- North West – Monday 18 March and Thursday 19 September 2024. The first conference will be held at the Point @ West Park Oval, Burnie.
- North – Tuesday 19 March and Friday 20 September 2024. The first conference will be held at Ravenswood Heights Primary School, Ravenswood.
Each conferences run from 9:30am to 2:30pm.
All registered teachers and supervising adults (if you home-school) are invited to attend an information session about the program on March 6, 3:30pm to 4:40pm. The session will be recorded for those who cannot attend.
Expressions of Interest Now Open For:
- Teachers or supervising adults (if you home-school) to nominate a young person or group of young people to participate in the program. Register here.
- Mentors to participate in the program. Register here.
- Travel grants to attend the conferences. Apply here.
- Project grants to fund project implementation. Opening soon.
Who coordinates this program?
The Tasmanian Youth Climate Leaders Program is a collaboration within the Education for Sustainability Tasmania network by the University of Tasmania and Sustainable Living Tasmania, and is supported by the Tasmanian Government through Renewables, Climate and Future Industries Tasmania.